Troxler Agricultural Sciences Center
Client: North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Sciences
Architect: HH Architecture
Completion Date: 2021
Delivery Method: Construction Manager at Risk
The construction of the 200,000 sq ft Troxler Agriculture Science Center, which provides research laboratories and offices for five distinctive divisions of scientists, required the JV of JE Dunn/T. A. Loving, to mitigate constructability associated with BSL-3 labs, negative pressure, and vibration sensitivity. The Center is welcoming and beautiful, while providing the complex labs our scientists need to keep agriculture, the backbone of our state’s economy, innovative and growing.
Highlights of the technical systems included within:
- Intricate and extensive Deionized (DI) water system
- Large bore electro-fusion piping – condenser water system
- Effluent wastewater treatment system
- Double containment electro-fusion drainage
- Stand-alone Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer (FRP) lab exhaust system
- Medical lab gas (argon, helium, hydrogen, oxygen, acetylene, clean compressed air) systems and vacuums
Our QC process required heavy integration between the Building Management Systems (BMS) and control/safety measures for each lab, especially for the labs with Biosafety Levels (BSL) ratings 2-3.